Monday, August 15, 2011

Planted first beans, tomatoes are sprouting

Yesterday, I planted 4 square feet of baby lima beans and 4 square feet of red kidney beans.  The bed was filled with homegrown compost and some grass clippings topped with a thin layer of store bought potting mix.  Got a heavy ran later in the day to kick start the process.  I'll plant another section of both beans in a week or two to stagger the output.

Picked a handful of black eyed pea pods that were yellow/brown yesterday and today and set them inside to finish drying.  Trying to figure out how to finish drying them in quantity and I'm thinking it might be best to leave them on the vine a little longer. 

First tomoato seedlings came up, the winner is.... soil blocks.  6 days ago, I planted 8 roma tomato seeds in soil blocks and 3 in 4" containers.  Both used the same potting mix.  Today, 5 of the 8 seedlings are showing, all from the soil blocks.  Yesterday, I planted 8 more roma and 8 beef steak tomatos all in soil blocks.  I plan to use the roma's for making tomato sauce and the beef steaks for making crushed tomatoes and salsa.

3 bell pepper plants I planted in 4" containers are tall enough to transplant now, just need to figure out where they are going.  Also have a pineapple ready to transplant, and again I just need to figure out where it's going. 

I have 3 small Ghost pepper plants from Paul Laughlin.  2 of them don't look good, leaves have fallen off but one looks really good.  All 3 were taken as cuttings in Phoenix AZ, put into potting mix just prior to flying out on business and handed off to me about 2 weeks ago.  One is definitely going to make it, the other two are questionable.  Time to remind Chris to bring me one of his jalapena peppers so I can harvest the seeds.  This will round out the hot pepper garden nicely with the 2 scotch bonnet plants.  Harvested over 100 scotch bonnets this year!

2 more weeks until September!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to hear how your red kidney beans go. I'm a grower in c.fl. and I'm thinking about bush beans as a cover crop for my nightshade patch. Would love to see pics!

    ReplyDelete