Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First tomato seeds planted

Planted 8 Roma tomato seeds in soil blocks using regular potting mix. For comparison, I also planted 3 more Roma tomato seeds in 4" containers with the same potting mix. I put the soil blocks on a small piece of wood where I can water them and ultimately move them to their final home. I plan to mix my own recipe later this week and I'll track the progress of those Roma's as well. I'll keep track of time to germinate, growth pattern, and how well they transplant.

Black eyed peas are doing amazing. Sent an email to county extension to ask about harvesting and got this reply from Ed Thralls:


Good morning, Bill.

Dried Southern peas are best harvested after the pods have matured, turned yellow or brown and dried but before the pods have split open. Removing them from the pod before this happens may invite fungal organisms. For additional information see:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CDBREC/introsheets/southernpea.pdf

Best wishes.

Thanks for the advice Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment