Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August is here and the Fall garden is about to get started. Added a new container that I solarized for the last 6 weeks and tomorrow I plan to take the plastic sheet off it. Plans are to direct sow some celery, brocolli (have to check my seeds first) and green onion tomorrow. I also plan to use my new soil blocker to start some tomatoes and chilli peppers for transplant later. I'm a little concerned about T.S. Emily who is supposed to be close enough to effect our weather, but I'm anxious to get started so if I lose some to a T.S., so be it.

I'm going to stagger the celery over time since you can't store it long term(dehydrating/canning/freezing). I'm thinking I'll plant 6 now then maybe 3 more every 2 weeks for a while. Hard to eat more than a stalk a week but we will be coming into chilli and stew season soon (although it's hard to tell by the still stifling heat) and I can add some to spaghetti sauce I make and can.

I'll fill in more details including the varieties I used tomorrow after I'm done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment