Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wow, it's been 2 1/2 weeks since I updated what I'm doing, got some catching up to do.

Didn't have great success with carrots germinating, not sure if I'm not watering enough or if the seeds are old.  These seeds were bought about 9 months ago and have been kept refridgerated.  I planted more this morning and will be more diligent about watering them to see if I get better results.  In the other half of the bed (4x8 bed), I just put down 8 cabbage plants I started from seed 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I also put down 12 mixed greens also started from seed 2 1/2 weeks ago.  The cabbage and mixed greens were started in soil blocks.  The mixed greens were a combination of meslum and iceberg lettuce.  In the same bed, I also put down some celery seed that I direct sowed.  Tried starting the celery in soil blocks but didn't get any of them to germinate.

Tomatos are kicking into high gear now, probably doubled in size in the last 2 weeks.  I put a stake at the end of each row and ran 2 pieces of string between the stakes at about 10 and 14 inches up.  Started weaving the plants between the strings as they grow, several are about 18 inches tall now.  There are 3 rows of tomatos one foot apart and set one foot in from the edge of the bed to allow room for growth.  Planted radishes on one outer edge of the bed last week and they are appearing now so I planted more on the other edge today. 

Beans are all doing well.  Ran stakes and twine around the perimeter of the kidney, lima, and green beans.  The lentils are small, but look healthy.  They're about 6 inches tall and they were planted around the same time as the other beans which are now 12-18 inches tall.  I've read what I can find about lentils but haven't found any details on how quickly they should grow.  I'll keep watering and feeding them and hopefully get a bowl of soup out of it.

We finished picking the black eyed peas and last weeked we shelled them.  Made a nice black eyed pea salad from what was picked, delicious!  Pulled the plants up and threw them in the compost.

Planted cucumbers yesterday in a 2x6 bed.  Since this was an existing bed I was moving, I decided to double dig the bed before planting since I just finished reading about the benefits of this method.  Anxious to see the results.

Two of the four potato cuttings are growing well.  Put the pots out in the bed without actually transplanting them to get them acclimated.  According the charts, its too early to plant potatos and I don't know what.  I'll be interested in seeing what the results will be.

A friend gave me 4 cuttings from his jalapeno pepper on Saturday.  I've had them in water for the last 5 days and today I put 2 of them into potting soil.  Planted 2 more long cayenne pepper seeds in potting soil and some cubanella's.  The 3 bellpeppers that I had in a container were over a foot tall so I found a spot for them today as well.  Love heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment